The International Legal Assistance Consortium (ILAC), established in 2002, is a Stockholm-based association for legal practitioners and scholars from around the world who offer expert guidance to countries trying to rebuild justice systems after conflict. It is in these challenging contexts where through better planning, coordination, and cooperation technical assistance can be more productive, sustainable, and cost efficient. Through its member organisations, ILAC represents over 3 million legal professionals – judges, lawyers, prosecutors, and court administrators – worldwide.
ILAC has recently gone through a major organisational restructure with updated systems and processes for strategic planning , programme management, management of work processes and legal analyses in collaboration with our members. ILAC’s major donor is currently the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, Sida.
The ILAC secretariat is based in Enskede and has two departments: Department for Operations and Department for Finance and Administration.
The position as Director of Operations
Type of employment: Permanent position, full time position (40 hours per week) with flexible working hours according to ILAC’s internal staff manual.
Reports to: ILAC’s Executive Director and is a part of the ILAC senior management team
Location: Stockholm; The position requires periodic travels.
Supervises: The staff of the Department of Operations.
Overall purpose of the position:
Leads ILAC’s Department for Operations in developing, conducting, following up and analyzing results of ILAC’s contextual analyses, legal assessments, programmes, knowledge management and advancements to the international legal discourse in cooperation with its members and in line with ILAC’s by-laws, strategic plan, annual work plans, budgets, internal steering documents and entered donor agreements.
- Strategic development of ILAC with regard to analysis, funding and knowledge management.
- Leads and manages ILAC´s department for Operations with 11 employees (Sept 2020) with regard to planning, monitoring and assessing, HR tasks and budget responsibilities for the ILAC core operations.
- External relations on a strategic level and ensures that a regular communication and exchange of experiences take place with ILAC’s members involved in contextual analysis, legal assessments and advancing the network’s contributions to the international legal discourse.
Authority: Takes decisions based on the ILAC Scheme of Delegation.
Necessary & Preferred Qualifications:
- The applicant must have an academic degree in law.
- The applicant must have at least eight years of professional management experience regarding international development programmes within the field of Rule of Law.
- The applicant must have solid management and leadership experience and skills, including staff development, supervision and coordination.
- The applicant must have proven experience of planning, managing and monitoring for results, including methods for the same, as well as engaging in high level policy dialogue within the UN system.
- Preference is given to applicants who have experience within or related to the Rule of Law field.
- Preference is given to applicants who have experiences from working in membership and/or professional associations engaging members as experts.
- Preference is given to applicants who have experience of gender mainstreaming in practise.
- Preference is given to applicants who have direct experience working and living in fragile and post conflict countries.
- Preference is given if the applicant has experience in managing international development programmes funded by Sida.
- The applicant must be fluent in English and it is a merit if the applicant speaks second language – preferably: Arabic, Spanish or French.
To apply please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com before 2020-10-16. If you have any questions please contact the Director of Finance and Administration Olof.firstname.lastname@example.org or ILAC’s Executive director Agneta.email@example.com