ILAC is an international non-governmental organisation that works to strengthen the rule of law, empower legal professionals and to ensure equal access to justice for all where people’s justice needs are the greatest – in conflict, crisis or transitions to democracy.
As an international umbrella organisation for associations of legal experts, ILAC works with governments, civil society and other stakeholders at national and global levels to provide technical assistance and expert guidance to support rule of law reform.
ILAC comprises over 80 specialised member organisations and individual experts worldwide. The ILAC Secretariat is based in Stockholm. The work of the Secretariat is mainly to coordinate and lead the work of ILAC’s members spanning across rule of law assessments, justice building projects and engagement in policy dialogues at global level.
The Position as Senior Lawyer
Type of employment: Temporary/time-bound contract of one year. Full time position (40 hours per week) with flexible working hours according to ILAC’s internal staff manual. The position can become permanent depending on continued funding.
Reports to: ILAC’s Director of Operations
Location: Enskede, Stockholm (Sweden); The position requires periodic travels.
The overall purpose of the position: Ensure that ILAC’s assessments and policy engagements are planned, implemented and followed-up so as to achieve expected results and enhance the overall impact, quality and strategic added value of the assessments, in line with ILAC’s by-laws, strategic plan, annual work plans, budgets, internal steering documents and entered donor agreements.
- Successfully lead ILAC’s assessment and assessment-related activities, in close cooperation with ILAC’s members
- Contribute to the network’s responses to identify new opportunities for assessments and legal analysis
- Support and work jointly on ILAC’s bilateral programmes
- Actively lead and develop ILAC’s policy dialogue processes
- Contribute to the strategic development of ILAC
- Contribute to ILAC’s work with fundraising
Management and Responsibilities:
- Manage the processes of initiating and finalising ILAC’s assessments, in compliance with the strategic plan, geographic priorities and annual work plans
- Act as a team leader and/or report writer for ILAC assessments
- Plan and implement activities as outlined in approved work plans and coordinating completion of activity deliverables
- Stay informed of relevant geographic/thematic/political developments for the successful carrying out of duties and responsibilities of the position
- Initiate and maintain regular contact with members, partners, relevant authorities, organisations, donors, etc
- Contribute to the development of working methodologies and tools for the improvement of assessments
- Conduct relevant research that informs and enhances the quality of ILAC’s assessments
- Maintain a regular communication with members and represents the ILAC Secretariat in the relations with them
- Represent ILAC externally in assessement work, seminars or when appointed in other relevant contexts
- Academic degree in law
- At least 7 years of documented relevant experience where a majority of the time has included analysis, policy development, report writing and programme management
- The applicant must have experience of working with networks and member-driven processes
- The ability to plan, coordinate and organise work independently with in-depth understanding of its strategic direction
- Documented writing skills in English – reports, briefs and other policy documents
- A wide network and experience of working with government agencies, civil society organisations and professional associations such as bar or judges associations
- Preference is given to applicants who have experience within or related to the rule of law field, including assessments and legal analysis
- Preference is given to applicants who have direct experience working in fragile and post-conflict countries
- Preference is given if the applicant has experience in leading teams or supervising staff
- The applicant must be fluent in English and it is a merit if the applicant speaks a second language, preferably Spanish, French or Arabic
To apply please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com before 2021-01-25. Please send in an application and salary estimate as soon as possible, as the position may close before the deadline.
If you have any questions please contact Richard Sannerholm, Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org