ILAC is an international umbrella organisation for associations of legal experts. ILAC works with governments, civil society and other stakeholders globally to provide assessments and expert guidance on how to rebuild justice systems after conflict. ILAC ‘s over 50 member organisations of judges, prosecutors, lawyers and academics worldwide are experts in providing technical legal assistance in fragile and post conflict countries.
The ILAC Secretariat in Stockholm consists of the Executive Director and fourteen staff members. The work of the Secretariat is mainly to initiate assessments of justice systems and justice building projects, coordinate member activities, raise funds and liaise with international organisations, governments and civil society.
We are now looking for a colleague to join our Assessments and Legal Analysis team in Stockholm in a project to analyse the Syrian justice sector.
Type of employment
Temporary contract for nine months with the possibility of extension depending on funding. Full time position (40 hours per week).
ILAC Secretariat, Stockholm, Sweden. Travel may be required.
ILAC Director of Assessments & Legal Analysis.
Overall purpose of the position
The Legal Officer is responsible for supporting and assisting in the effective implementation of a rule of law assessment in Syria. They may be called upon to assist other ILAC programme activities, events and projects, where required.
- Contribute to the design and execution of an assessment of the justice sector in Syria together with the ILAC Senior Legal Adviser and relevant staff, departments and member organisations. This may include as appropriate:
- Support in the preparation of assessment mission(s), assisting in developing and adapting methodology as well as in research, drafting and development of recommendations. This may also entail travel.
- Logistical and administrative support.
- Preparing background materials and analysis for deciding on ILAC’s priorities and its engagement in Syria and the MENA region.
- The applicant must have a law degree.
- The applicant must have at least 1-3 years of documented relevant experience of legal work.
- The applicant must have proven experience of legal research and/or fact finding missions in the field and report writing.
- The applicant must have the ability to plan, coordinate and organise efficiently and effectively to ensure contribution to timely and successful completion of the project.
- We are interested in applicants who have experience of working with legal reform in developing, transition or post-conflict countries, in particular in Syria or other countries in the region.
- It is a merit if the candidate has previous experience with US Government funded projects, implementation and reporting.
- Legal qualifications and/or experience from practical legal work is a merit (i.e. court clerkships, practitioner’s qualitfication, LL.M. legal practice).
- The applicant must be fluent in written and spoken English. Profficiency in Arabic is a strong merit.
To apply please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 June. ILAC offers a salary of between 26.000-29.000 SEK for this position, depending on qualifications and experience. We reserve the right to start the recruitment process earlier depending on the selection of candidates.
Please send in an application and salary estimate as soon as possible, as the position may close before the deadline. If you have any questions related to the content of the position, please contact Mikael Ekman email@example.com or Guro Wiik firstname.lastname@example.org